Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lymph Node Enlargement

mattymc13 - Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:00 am

I recently posted in the miscellaneous thread, but my second message was erased, because I think i will be more suitable for here.

My name is Matt, I am 19 and I don't smoke or drink. I have been suffering from stomach and bowel problems since christmas time last year. I had black stool and was sent off for a full blood count, but everything came back normal. I was put on lansoprasole to reduce acid levels in my stomach, but I have still been suffering from off colour stool recently, even though my stomach feels much better.

However a couple of saturday's ago in a friends car a headache just came on randomly. It got worse as days progressed and I started getting lower back and neck pains. It seemed some of my nodes were enlarged, but not an awful lot. I also started suffering my very bad nausea and I am completely off my food, having eaten only a couple of bowls of cereal and some crisps since last thursday. My headache has since improved, but something has come up in the last few days that is concerning me.

It is a swelling just above the clavicle on my left side, in the hollow area. I can't really describe whether it is hard or soft, but it's not rock hard and it's not terribly soft. In an annoying twist of fate I only discovered it after I left my appointment at the doctor's surgery the other day. I also have two other swellings near my groin area and am getting random aches and pains all over the place and I have never been so fatigued in all my life.

I do keep returning to the doctor, but...I always get the impression he doesn't quite take me seriously. I do try to be assertive, but sometimes I feel my complaints fall on deaf ears.

Am I right to be concerned or could this be a simple problem?

Thanks.

Matt.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 pm

User avatar Hi Mattmc13,

Your symptoms may be due to a few things. It may be that you have a viral infection causing all your symptoms. Also, a migraine headache could cause headache and nausea you are experiencing.

I think what you may be describing in your neck area may be an enlarged lymph node that could support the idea of an infection causing your symptoms.

If you continue to have this feeling in your collar bone area I would recommend you have your doctor evaluate this.

Medstud - Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:15 am

Matt

How large is the left supraclavicular lymph node? is it mobile ( moves when you apply pressure) or is it fixed? is it more or less the same consistency as the neighboring neck lymph nodes?
 mattymc13 - Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 pm

Thank you both for your replies.

Medstud, it is really hard to tell whether it is mobile or not. I think it is. It seems to be able to be pushed down, which is an encouraging sign I imagine. But it is most definitely larger than the node on the opposite side.

When should I be worried?
 debmatt - Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 am

Medstud,

I am very skinny. Is it "normal" to be able to feel lymph nodes that are closer to the skin in the cervical neck area. These are all tiny and small. Since you are a med student I wanted to ask this to you.

Thanks so much!

Oh and cheers to you!

|