Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Where lower back meets buttock

Onlineedu - Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 pm

I have had an off and on pain where my lower back meets my buttock. This pain can be severe when I sit down, but also can go away for weeks at a time. When standing upright and trying to examine myself in a mirror, I cannot see anything, If I bend over, spread my butt cheek (sorry for the graphic) I see a small opening. It am pretty sure as if it is another small hole. What could this be? Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:05 pm

User avatar Hi Onlineedu,

Occasionally there can be some infections of the skin in this area due to a small cyst beneath the skin that is located in the area you are describing (called a pilonidal cyst). These can cause pain.

It may also be caused by some irritation of the spinal nerves. Often this occurs do to some damage to the lower back (even minor) at some point in the past.

If the pain comes back I would recommend you see your doctor to have it evaluated. If it is a pilonidal cyst issue there are some treatments that can help. If it is more of a lower back pain issue from the spine, sometimes physical therapy can help.

Best wishes

|