Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Bump on back right side

mattrat3000 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:53 am

Hello, I am a 19 year old male and I have never had any serious conditions. Often when I was younger I seemed to get things like bronchitus and strep throat, but nothing serious. About 4-5 years ago I noticed a bump on the back side of my neck near where the head meets the neck. It is about where my hairline is and is on the right side, but not on the side of my head, clearly on the back. Over time it has gotten bigger, but I haven't ever been worried about it. However, recently probably within the last 2-3 months I have been getting sharp pains on the right side of my neck. When I get the sharp pains it is usually caused from looking to the left and I have to look back straight to stop the pain. I don't take any medications, the only medical history I really know of is heart problems and one of my grandparents had lung cancer, also, my mother has celiacs disease I believe it is? Can't eat wheat. Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 am

User avatar Hi Mattrat3000,

There are a few possibilities for what this lump may be. It may be a lymph node that has become swollen due to it fighting off an infection. It may also be a lipoma (a small, non-cancerous fat cell tumor).

Lipomas are generally harmless and incidental but occasionally they may need to be removed because they become irritated due to their location, etc. They often have a rubbery feeling.

Since this lump is now painful it is actually less likely to be cancer. However, because it is painful I would recommend you see your doctor to have this evaluated. There may be an infection that is going on, which may need antibiotics to clear up.

Neeblung - Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:26 am

I have a similar problem but theres a sore like a bug bite about an inch from my Occipital Node could this cause swelling and headaches?
 Ggriffith - Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:58 pm

I noticed about 3 days ago a bump about 2 inches behind my left ear just above my hairline, woke up the next morning and it had grown to double the size. It started out about the size of a pea and is hard and a little tender to the touch. Around the area kinda feels like I have a rug burn. I also noticed when I was rubbing the bump that about half an inch from that another bump had formed, pea sized, it has remained the same size and is slightly tender. Once again I woke up this morning to find another bump right behind my left ear. I also have a red bump that kinda looks like a rash on the left side of my head above my left ear, no pain but it does itch a little bit. I also have a red rashy spot on my left collar bone below my neck line that is about the size of a quarter. Any idea's what these are and what I should do, or if there is anything I can do to make them go down? I'm getting pretty concerned because I keep getting a new one each day and I don't have insurance and not a whole lot of money to go to the clinic. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

|