Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Lump above collar bone/shouler area

6429466 - Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:39 pm

My bf has found a lump in his shoulder/neck area above his collar bone towards his back (right at the base of his neck). It feels like a lymph node to me and is about 1/2 inch in size, firm, possibly slightly enlarged. It was swollen but the swelling has gone done, its just still enlarged and firm. He says it uncomfortable to touch it, no extreme pain though. He has no other nodes swollen and no other problems. He does have tight muscles in his neck and shoulder area, possibly strained. I am very concerned that it is something serious; I have researched night and day and all I can find are possible infections including mono and HIV (I am his only partner, and I tested negative (ELISA) at 3 months and 7 months after my last possible exposure; the dr. says I shouldn't worry about that anymore, should I?). Do you have any advice, suggestions, or ideas? Should I be worried/he? I'm a super concerned person when it comes to health, so I'm scared to death for him.

Age:23, He's 24
Sex:F, He's M
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:21 pm

User avatar Hi 6429466,

The area you are describing does contain many lymph nodes. Your description is consistent with this as well. There are an endless number of infections/other conditions that can cause lymph nodes to become swollen.

It is common for lymph nodes to remain enlarged for a while after they become swollen. They may not fully shrink back down to their previous size.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written an article on lymph nodes that you may find helpful. It can be found here.

|