Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Long-Term blood smearing of toilet tissue

Saleth - Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 am

Having finally gotten the nerve to approach others (sort of) about this problem, I wish to share my symptoms with a professional before addressing my family doctor.

I'm an eighteen-year-old male on no current medications, with no past surgeries, and no past diagnoses of any noteworthy conditions. Since early middle school, it seems, I've occasionally discovered minute (trace) amounts of blood on toilet tissue after using the restroom. While I never really found a source of the bleeding, it was obvious the condition stemmed from no internal sources, and most likely the result of rough wiping on the outside area. However, in early-mid August of this year, bleeding from the area increased a significant magnitude.

At times, toilet tissue would be smeared with a light amount of blood, while at others, the bleeding worsened to leave what seemed to be a drop or two on the paper. This went on, painlessly, until early September, at which point greatly bleeding subsided, but still continued in relatively light amounts. Then, in mid-October, I began to periodically experience stinging sensations in the area, which typically occurred when I would push or wipe particularly hard during/after a bowel movement. At first, it seemed to come from the upper-left region of my anus, but then I realized that I was experiencing the same thing from a tiny spot in the upper-right, which had hitherto gone unnoticed. Now, while this had me worrying severely, it's important to note that I've experienced slight amounts of itching from these two areas extending as far back as the first experience of bleeding occurred, but I'm afraid to say that this is connected to the bleeding I'm currently experiencing. Furthermore, upon closer examination, I've found what seems to be a small skin tag present in the upper-right location. In itself, the skin tag does not itch or present any evidence of its presence, but I still find it an important aspect to mention. Frankly, I'm afraid it's possibly a tumor, but I have no idea how to tell. Other than the above, I have found no other abnormalities in the area except for a near-surface blood vessel beneath the anus.

Pain and bleeding have now become increasingly periodic in nature, and I have experienced them only two days in the past three weeks, with only a tiny amount of bleeding tonight.

Please put my mind at rest - at least until I can schedule an appointment with the family physician. I appreciate any help or advice that anyone here has to give.

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

User avatar Hi there,

Are you saying that the bleeding is only associated with stools? So it doesn't happen on its own that you wake up to find blood has stained your underwear or clothes for example? Is the pain associated with bowel motions. All these conditions make anal conditions/ hemorrhoids more likely. Its indeed very likely since you mention that this all started off with rough wiping which can lead to several conditions in that area.

No one can tell for sure what you have without close assessment and examination. Its good to hear that you will be seeing your doctor soon. Please continue to update this thread after seeing your doctor.

Good luck and best regards,
 Saleth - Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:09 am

No, it doesn't occur on its own, and I only experience any symptoms after a bowel movement.

One thing you said confuses me, though; am I to further expect hemorrhoids because I don't find blood on my clothes, or would I be more likely to expect them if I did? Pardon the additional questions, but I just need clarification.

Thank you again. I really appreciate the response.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:45 pm

User avatar Classically hemorrhoids would occur with bowel movement not alone. So your answer is more in favor of hemorrhoids - given that this is the most common cause of blood in stools. It could still be other colo-rectal or anal conditions. The question excludes some lesions as well as other causes of generalized bleeding disorder.

|