News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Pancreatic Cancer

Question: Doctors not helpful, could it be pancreatic cancer?

CollegeKid - Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 pm

I am a 20 year old male, and have had several bouts with left side pain in the past 3 years. I had a cat scan done when I was 18 because of side pain, and nothing showed up. The pain has come and gone 3 or 4 times since then, it's never very painful.

However, before Thanksgiving break, it came back and really scared me. I had a CBC blood test done and all the levels were normal, doctors said they really couldn't do anything since the pain was so minor and somewhat inexplicable.

Right now, i have slight pain under my left rib cage. It is not a constant pain at all, when i'm sitting or laying, i do not even feel it. However, i get sharp jabbing pains every once in a while that seem to be brought on by nothing at all. My urine and bowel movements are basically regular, and my complection has not changed. I am weak and have lost my appetite, but that is only because i'm worried sick of having cancer and no health insurance. It has come to the point that I cannot even study for finals. Could the pain be simply an anxiety problem, coupled with some minor GI or otherwise non-life threatening problem?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:57 pm

User avatar Hello,

Pancreatic pain is characteristically more central and is referred to the back. It also tends to appear at a much older age. This is usually not something that carries on unnoticed for 2 years.

Chronic abdominal pain could be functional (due to anxiety) but this is a diagnosis that can only be made after an examination is performed to rule out all other possible causes.

If your pain is increasing or changing in character or if your pain is associated with other symptoms then you should consult your physician.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here