Forum Name: Bladder Cancer

Question: Long-lasting chest pain on left side of body

okaythen - Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:51 pm

My name is Jillian and I am 18 years old. I'm not exactly up to date on my family's health history, however I know that heart problems are somewhat common on my father's side and bladder issues are very common on my mother's. Also, my grandmother just recently died from breast cancer that spread to her liver, because it was discovered very late.

Just recently, four days ago, a chest pain has developed within me. It is on the left side of my body, and it wraps around to my back. I guess you could say it is a tight feeling. It feels as though there is something heavy in my chest cavity, around the area where my heart is. It almost feels like a hunger pain in my heart. It seems to also affect my arm, but I'm not sure that it does as I have been going through a lot of random, strange pains lately. But it started, out of nowhere, and has continued every day since it began. It is not constant, however. It appears about an ahour after I wake up, continutes throughout the day (for about 8 hours) and then sort of goes away at night, only to happen again the next day. It is hard to tell whether or not it feels more like it is heart or lung related, though i just had an EKG and the doctor told me it was normal. I also had a chest x-ray that came out normal, as well.

I've noticed that I've been weak feeling and tired lately. But I am worried as to what this could be, since it affects me to the point of being unable to work. I have not been overly stressed out until this began, so i don't see it as being caused by stress. i would just like to have an idea as to what i should do about it, since it affects me every day. what type of doctor should i go see for it? how can i figure out what it is?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:24 pm

User avatar Hi Jillian,

There are quite a number of things that could be causing your symptoms. In an 18 year old heart pain would be fairly uncommon. Probably one of the most common causes of symptoms like you are describing is reflux. There are also several viral infections that can do this.

I would suggest that you see your primary care doctor for a full evaluation.

|