Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump along Jaw line

Spencer - Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:04 pm

I have noticed for the past 1-1/2 months that I have had a lump under my right jaw line. I have read that it might be related to lymph nodes; as it appears to have swelled throughout the day. It is painless but appears to be getting larger. I was wondering what kind of doctor do i need to see (what is this kind of doctor). I don't want to go to a GP, i want someone who specializes in this. thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:22 pm

User avatar Hi Spencer,

The area you are describing does have many lymph nodes in it. These frequently will become enlarged when fighting off an infection (even if the infection doesn't cause other symptoms). Often, when they are fighting an infection the may be a bit sore but this is certainly not the case all the time.

Based on the fact that this post is in the lymphoma board I should also mention that with cancer lymph nodes can swell as well. Generally, cancerous nodes are non painful, fixed in place (not able to be moved around with pressure) and are slowly growing in size. As with all things in medicine there are exceptions, but this is generally the rule.

Given that your lump is getting bigger quickly and by simple odds your lump is likely to be a swollen lymph node fighting off an infection. If, however, there is other concern or you would like to have it evaluated, seeing your primary care doctor is actually a very good place to start. If you prefer a specialist, an Ear, Nose and Throat (also called an otolaryngologist) is the right place.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written a very good article on lymph nodes that can be found here.

|