News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Question regarding blood on toilet paper when wiping.

squall211 - Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:52 pm

On Christmas Eve (what a day to have this happen), I was at work and had to go to the bathroom. I went, and while going didn't experience anything that I'd consider abnormal. There wasn't any pain or anything like that. However, when wiping there was blood on the toilet paper (bright red). That is the first time that has ever happened. Since then I have had three bowel movements. Of the three, two did not have any blood (at least, none that I could see) and one had a very very tiny spec of blood on the stool. The stool itself looked more or less normal in size and color (brown), but there were a few black spots on the stool (black spots are the best way I can think of to describe it).

My question, I guess, is how concerned should I be? Obviously, I need to have this checked out, and plan to, but since seeing the blood on Christmas Eve I have only been imagining the worst (like advanced colon cancer).

Some information about me:

Age 30, Male
Approx. 5' 9 1/2 ", 185-190 lbs.
Not obese or very overweight, but not physically active.
No history of colon cancer in my family that I am aware of, however my father had neck cancer earlier in the year, and when he turned 50 (he's 54 now), had a colonoscopy and a polyp was found (can't remember if it was benign or precancerous).

Other than the blood, I don't believe I am suffering from any symptoms/problems. I don't feel constipated nor have diarrhea. No abdominal pains. I don't feel weak or sick.

Any information or advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm sorry for your distress around the holidays.

Most of the time bright red blood with bowel movements is related to hemorrhoids which can occur inside the rectum where you can't even see they are there. Your age does not put you in a high risk category for cancer, but I know this is always the first thought that enters your mind. Most cases like yours are not cancer so don't stress too much. It would be smart to check it out to be sure, however, so schedule an appointment with your family practice doctor, internal medicine doctor or proctologist.

Best wishes.
 squall211 - Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 am

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Since my first post, I've had bowel movements every day. Some had no blood at all, but the last couple did. It appears to be the same as the first time I saw blood. The blood was on the toilet paper and some in the bowl, but didn't appear to be in the stool itself. Would it make sense that a hemroid would cause bleeding for one BM but not for another?

Another thing I noticed, was that off and on during the day this week, I've had very slight cramps, I think. The reason why I say "I think" is because it's so mild I don't even know what else you'd call it. I can "feel" it a bit below my belly button, but it's nothing that hurts or interrupts my ability to get through my day. Since the first time I saw that blood, I've done nothing but obsessively stress over it, and I wonder if that could be why I might be feeling those mild "cramps"?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here