News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: 17 year old girl with severe brusing on arms and legs

suzan902 - Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:04 am

my daughter woke up one morning with severe brusing on arms and legs both front and back., not just a few but close to 100. went to hospital and they did a weries of tests including luciemia, itp checked liver, and spleen. went to a pediatric oncologist and he said all the years he has been practicing he has never seen this before all 17 tests came back in the normal range. i know this cant be normal... he said go home and if it re occurs call him... please help this cant be normal....this came on sudden. they said no clots, etc.what could it be
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi Suzan902,

This is a bit puzzling. My one thought would be that your daughter may have a condition called Henoch-Schonlein Purpura. It can cause a bruise-like rash (called purpura). Typically, these spots develop in the legs/buttocks and spare the arms but in more severe cases they can also develop on the arms. They often appear in gravity dependent areas so the legs get targeted most.

In this condition, all the blood tests are typically normal. You may want to discuss this possibility with your daughter's doctor.

Beyond this I'm a bit stumped. What you are describing doesn't sound classic for HSP but it sounds like it is possible.

Keep us updated if you don't mind. Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here