News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Pain and change of bowel movements with occasional blood

Eedo - Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:10 am

Hi,

I'm a male 33 years old, I have been suffering from pain in the rectum over the last few weeks!

I have noticed some blood in the water and sometimes in the stools aswell as on the tissue paper after I have passed a movement!

My bowel movements change from being solid to like diarrhea then back again, and can be pale or normal colour, just recently they have been pencil thin!

I have been using some anuz cream to relief the pain when I'm passing the movements but it appears to not be getting much better!

Also sometimes it feels like i have finished the movement, or if i eat i might have to rush the loo to release the movement, or sometimes i can eat what i want and maybe have 3 movements a day!

I don't seem to have abdominal pain or feel weak etc but I'm very worried this could be serious or cancer!

Also i do sometimes have to strain to push some movemets!

Please would someone get back to me!

Regards
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:12 am

User avatar Hello,
In a person your age, cancer is not the most likely concern. It is possible you have hemorrhoids. These can also be internal where you don't know they exist. Straining with bowel movements, loose movements can both aggravate the condition and result in bleeding from the rectum.

You should see a gastroenterologist, internist, family doctor or proctologist to rule out anything serious and to determine what you might do from a dietary standpoint to help the condition. In the meantime, increase your dietary fiber with vegetables, fruits, beans and whole grains as well as taking in more water each day. You can supplement this with fiber such as Konsyl, Citracel or Metamucil-type products containing psyllium. Plan to spend at least thirty minutes in a relaxed attempt at a daily bowel movement around the same time each day. Read something and sit, even if you don't feel the urge. Your body will get the message that you are not too rushed to do the job. This helps you to avoid withholding due to time constraints.

Feces do change in color and appearance based on diet, medication, etc. so don't expect it to always look the same.

Best wishes to you in this new year.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here