Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Hardened thyroid and lump

James85 - Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:29 am

Dear Doctor,

I have recently discovered a lump under the skin, I think it is on either the thyroid or the muscle. It moves up and down when In swallow and when I push it it moves the whole area and there is a clicking sensation. One side of the area, just above the base of the neck, seems harder than the other side. I also have occaisonal stridor but thought that might be due to smoking. I sometimes have the feeling of a lump in the throat but otherwise have no symptoms

Cheers

James
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 am

If this is a new symptom it should be examined as soon as possible. A hard mass in the neck that moves on swallowing could be thyroid related. Examination by your doctor is the only way to know and to differentiate it from normal structures in the neck that are sometimes confused with it (e.g. larynx).

The sensation of a lump in the throat is a very nonspecific symptoms often attributed to anxiety.

|