News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Hardened thyroid and lump

James85 - Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:29 am

Dear Doctor,

I have recently discovered a lump under the skin, I think it is on either the thyroid or the muscle. It moves up and down when In swallow and when I push it it moves the whole area and there is a clicking sensation. One side of the area, just above the base of the neck, seems harder than the other side. I also have occaisonal stridor but thought that might be due to smoking. I sometimes have the feeling of a lump in the throat but otherwise have no symptoms

Cheers

James
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:05 am

User avatar Hello,

If this is a new symptom it should be examined as soon as possible. A hard mass in the neck that moves on swallowing could be thyroid related. Examination by your doctor is the only way to know and to differentiate it from normal structures in the neck that are sometimes confused with it (e.g. larynx).

The sensation of a lump in the throat is a very nonspecific symptoms often attributed to anxiety.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here