Forum Name: Testicular Cancer

Question: Testicle Pain and Hardness

OneBarn - Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:59 am

I'm 27 years old, I've worked a physical job for the past 6 years, but I must say that I'm very overweight, I weigh a least 240lbs and I'm only 5'8".

I experienced a back injury at work about 8 weeks ago, I'd taken some time off and went hard back at it and managed to hurt myself. The next day, I had pain in my back and 3 days later that spread into my left testicle. I went to the Dr. she thought it was a Hernia. Whilst waiting for the Ultrasound results, I noticed my right testicle became extremely swollen.

I went back to the Dr. and the Ultrasound didn't show a Hernia. He suspected Epididymitis (this was a different Dr.) and put me on Cipro for 2 weeks.

The swelling in my Right testicle quickly went away, only to be replaced by intermittent pain and now they were both testicles were becoming hard and heavy about 20-30 times a day. They did this at the time, but this heavy/hardness doesn't add to the pain.

I went back to the Doctor yesterday, he's finally sending me for a sonogram of my testicles, which I asked for 6 weeks ago, but is keeping me on the Cipro for another 10 days as it seemed to reduce the swelling in my Right testicle. He checked my prostate, but didn't say anything. I would have imagined if it was swollen he would have said so.

In short, I now have pain in BOTH my testicles, (it began just in my left testicle), this pain alternates between testicles. I don't experience pain in both testicles at the same time, it's either one or the other. My testicles become heavy and hard at least 20 times a day and they do this at the same time. The painful testicle doesn't get worse or better once they're heavy and hard.

Can you give me some idea what this is? I've never heard of anything like this before. Can I have testicular Cander in both testicles?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:16 am

User avatar Hello OneBarn,

Testicular cancer most commonly presents as painless swelling of the testis that is described as a very hard mass. Your description doesn't make me very suspicious of cancer.

Off hand, I'm not sure exactly what may be causing this. An infection is possible although I'm not convinced of this. It may also be a condition such as intermittent testicular torsion where the testis twists on its veins cutting off blood flow. This can be a serious issue as the testis may become damaged or even die if blood flow is not restored quickly (within a few hours). Typically, the pain with torsion is very intense.

I would recommend you see a urologist for further evaluation of this.

|