News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Hard lump in my cheek

Pol70 - Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi

About 7 months ago I found a hardish, pea sized lump in my right cheek. It is very difficult to feel and is sort of situated almost under my cheekbone about 4cm from my ear. I went to my GP who referred me to the hospital. The Doctor there felt it and said that it was a lymph node. She asked me if I had any symptoms, which I didn't and then said that I should go back in six months.She said that ideally they would do a scan, but they couldn't. I have since been to my Dentist and told him about it, he didn't seem unduly concerned and said that there was nothing wrong with my mouth. I am due to go back in about 3 weeks to the hospital and am now getting a bit concerned. The lump is still there, I have had a few symptoms, for example a few nosebleeds and a sinus type pain on that side of my face. Sometimes my ear or my eye socket ache a bit too. I don't know what to make of it all really. To make things more confusing, this morning I woke up and found a red rash on both my lymph glands either side of my neck. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 pm

User avatar Hi Pol70,

Occasionally after a lymph node has enlarged due to infection they may not shrink back down to their previous, unnoticeable size. Instead, they remain slightly enlarged, usually about the size of a pea as your has. These lymph nodes are still functioning normally just a little bigger.

Your new symptoms may be due to a new viral infection. Also, occasionally lymph nodes can become infected so if the lymph node becomes tender to the touch and the redness develops above it you should have it checked out.

My colleague, Dr. Fouad, has written an article on lymph nodes that may be helpful for you. It can be found here.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here