Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: benign lymphiod hyperplasia

mdfuqua - Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:52 am

First a short history. I am a 35 year old female. I found a mass on my right breast and had a mammogram done. nothing was found, including the mass. I went to a breast specialist who did a MRI/CT/ and Ultrasound. Nothing but a 5mm duct was seen. Eventually 2 lymph nodes were seen, and after several talks both the surgeon and I decided they should be removed and biopsied. What we reported by the pathologist, was very good news, there is no cancer. So the only reason I am asking my question is not because I am scared or doubt what I was told, but due to the fact that no one seems to be able to explain Benign lymphoid hyperplasia to me. I would like to know what it is, and how I got it, and do I need to be concerned that it may come back?

so the exact words from the report says.... 5 lymph nodes WITH benign lymphiod hyperplasia. no tumor identified.

thanks in advance, Tanna
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Lymphoid hyperplasia is a condition in which the number of cells increases due to the rapid growth (proliferation) of cells in the lymphoid tissue. Hyperplasia may result in the formation of a benign tumor, that can be visible.

Benign hyperplasia occurs as a response to a specific stimulus (physiological) thus cells grow under the normal regulatory control mechanisms.

In general, hyperplasia may occur following chronic inflammatory process, hormonal changes (like in breast tissue), or as a compensation following loss of certain tissues.

Lymph nodes in the body are parts where foreign organisms are trapped and attacked by the immune system, thus are commonly enlarged. Pathologically if examined there will be benign hyperplasia, a reactionary process to different inflammatory and infectious process.

The report is very reassuring and I would advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Please keep us updated.

|