Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged Mesentery Lymph Nodes

vinnie - Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:30 am

I've been in remission from Hodgkins for a year now,my latest cat scan is showing my lymph nodes are still centimeter size, is this normal or should they be in millimeters, do these nodes compress or touch nerves,tissue or organs in this area of the abdomen
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:56 pm

You have mentioned that you have been in remission for a year now and the new CT scan showed a lymph node of 1cm. Additional information about the CT scan results after ending chemotherapy one year ago as well as the CT Scan results at presentation will be appreciated.

Remission is defined as complete remission if of all evidence of disease disappeared (regression to normal size on CT) while partial remission is defined as >50% regression in the size of the involved lymph nodes.

Till recently, it was not possible to define whether the residual nodes represent fibrosis or an active disease except by biopsy. PET Scan is utilized now to determine whether this residual is fibrotic mass or possibly an active disease that needs confirmation by biopsy and further treatment.

If these nodes detected by your last CT Scan were PET negative only observation is needed. If these nodes are positive for active disease by biopsy then further therapy is recommended.

If PET is not available, then decision will be taken based on many factors that include the comparative study for CT Scans during and after therapy, the initial stage and other prognostic factors. Occasionally, persistent stable abdominal masses or palpable nodal masses may also occur and only close follow-up is recommended.

Radiotherapy IFRT is recommended to consolidate residual mass after chemotherapy completion in certain areas of the body (e.g. mediastinum) while second line therapy is given if the biopsy is proved to be positive for active disease. Patients who are at high risk of repalse are offered HDT/ASCR.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to inform him with the results of the new Scan.
Please keep us updated.

|