Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph node followed by localised rash

slsmith - Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:29 am

Hi. I am a 31 yr old woman. I noticed a lump on the back right hand side of my neck about 6 weeks ago. My GP sent me for an ultrasound and this confirmed it was a swollen lymph node, and that there was also another swollen node on the left hand side. I then had a blood test which came back as normal. However, a couple of days later I noticed a pronouned bump on the back of my scalp and went back to my GP again. He said it was eczema or psoriasis rash and this probably caused the swollen nodes. He gave me a cream and antibiotics. However, I'm concerned because the rash came on weeks after the I first noticed the swollen node so I don't understand how it could have been the cause. Should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 pm

User avatar Hello Slsmith,

There are several possibilities. First, the rash may actually have been a local skin infection or the effects of a virus. Infections commonly cause lymph node swelling early in their course and have other symptoms that develop later, such as rashes.

The other possibility is that you had some cause of inflammation, such as viral infection, that caused the lymph node to spread and subsequently also triggered the rash to develop (i.e. the rash itself is not an infection but came about because the body was stressed).

Lymph nodes can often be the clue that something is going on because they become swollen quite easily. The swelling may proceed the event and continue beyond when the cause has resolved.

If your rash is getting better I think you have little to worry about.

|