News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen lymph node followed by localised rash

slsmith - Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:29 am

Hi. I am a 31 yr old woman. I noticed a lump on the back right hand side of my neck about 6 weeks ago. My GP sent me for an ultrasound and this confirmed it was a swollen lymph node, and that there was also another swollen node on the left hand side. I then had a blood test which came back as normal. However, a couple of days later I noticed a pronouned bump on the back of my scalp and went back to my GP again. He said it was eczema or psoriasis rash and this probably caused the swollen nodes. He gave me a cream and antibiotics. However, I'm concerned because the rash came on weeks after the I first noticed the swollen node so I don't understand how it could have been the cause. Should I be concerned?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:15 pm

User avatar Hello Slsmith,

There are several possibilities. First, the rash may actually have been a local skin infection or the effects of a virus. Infections commonly cause lymph node swelling early in their course and have other symptoms that develop later, such as rashes.

The other possibility is that you had some cause of inflammation, such as viral infection, that caused the lymph node to spread and subsequently also triggered the rash to develop (i.e. the rash itself is not an infection but came about because the body was stressed).

Lymph nodes can often be the clue that something is going on because they become swollen quite easily. The swelling may proceed the event and continue beyond when the cause has resolved.

If your rash is getting better I think you have little to worry about.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here