News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrine Cancers

Question: Body odor

me720 - Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Hello,
I have been dealing with body odor since I was about 8, I'm now 21. I think this is hormone related but I cannot prove it because I don't know what kind of test to take. I think it is because of I went through puberty at such a young age. I know it isn't a matter of personal hygiene because I spend alot of money trying to slove this problem. What kind of hormone problem can cause this and how could I get it tested and treated? I went to the doctor for this before and took a thyroid test and the results were okay. I don't know if this is correct because I ate before the test. I considering retaking the throid test and also maybe adrenal or pituitary. Another doctor told me to take a diabetes test but I do not think I have this condition because I do not have these symptoms and do not have the sweet scent that diabetes patients have. The odor, I noticed comes mainly from my underarms and underneath my breasts, which is mainly where I sweat from. I sweat through these areas even when I am l cold. CAn you give me the right steps to take to solve this problem?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:44 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would recommend a dermatologist to begin with. There are some conditions aside from heredity that can cause this and there are some treatments a doctor can try and have varying success rates, including prescription antiperspirants, iontophoresis, botox, anticholinergic drugs, and rarely surgery to remove some sweat glands.

Of course it is important to rule out underlying problems but the thyroid testing should be adequate because fasting is not usually required. If your dermatologist suspects another endocrine concern, he/she could request any needed labs.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here