News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: 46 female - pellet like stools, mucus, flatulence - cancer?

countrygirl - Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:40 pm

46yr old female with no family history of colon cancer. I have had symptoms of IBS for at least 15 yrs with loose stools in morning 2-3 times then later in evening I have pellet like stools with mucus. This happens every day. I also have quite alot of flatulance in evening. I also have extreme health anxiety!

11 months ago i started worrying that my symptoms were sign of colon cancer and had the following tests. Flexible sigmoidoscopy ( with long scope) normal. Abdo and pelvic ulrasound normal. Cealiac test - negative Complete stool analysis - normal Blood tests normal and fecal occult blood test negative. During the past 11 nonths I have had another two fecal occult blood tests last one three weeks ago and all negative and also full blood counts etc every few months and all normal.

I have a badly damaged lumbar/sacral spine and wake up with bad stabbing lower back pains. I have been told this is due to damaged spine but my health anxiety disorder is linking the pains with the time of day that I have my bowel movements. My Dr has tried to reassure me that my pain is from my spine and there are no reasons for me to have more invasive tests that would be extremely difficult given my spinal problems.

Should I stop worrying given the amount of tests I have had that are all normal?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:58 pm

User avatar Hello,
Cancer does not jump out at me here. I think you have done a good job ruling out serious bowel disorders. Bowel movements can put stress on a bad back so this makes sense. I suspect most of your symptoms are related to the IBS and would not worry excessively. You may benefit from some relaxation techiques or alternative medicine such as therapy, hypnosis or even acupuncture. Many people who don't find help in the traditional treatments respond to these and other techniques.

If you do not take a fiber supplement, you may want to try that. Daily Metamucil or Citracel, etc. can make a big difference. The gas is a difficult problem to deal with and even anti-gas medication does not always do the trick.

Colonoscopy screening is recommended for everyone age 50 and over, earlier if there is a family history of colon cancer.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here