News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Enlarged lymph node in axilla

swtpotatoqueen - Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Apx 4 months ago, i developed bilteral axilla swelling which disspiated in 1 week. Following this decrease in swelling, i found an enlarged lymph node in my right axilla which was tender to the touch. I had a bilateral axilla ultrasound done which was negative. The nodule remained & I developed a "chafing" sensation in my right axilla as well. My PCP has placed me on Levaquin for two weeks & plans to refer me to a general surgeon if the nodule has not decreased in size. When found, it was the size of a peanut & has remained unchanged. I've had no fever, sweating, weight loss or fatigue.

I am concerned b/c sister was diagnosed with DCIS at age 44. What are the chances that this could be malignant? My last mamogram was negative & i have found no other lumps/nodules.

thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:40 am

User avatar Hi swtpotatoqueen,
Our lymph nodes function as a filtering system against bacterial/viral infections. They commonly enlarge as a result of these infections and may not return to their preinfectious state. However, when lymph nodes continue to enlarge or there is no reduction in size despite treatment with a course of antibiotic therapy they become a little more concerning. Mammograms aren't 100% accurate for a variety of reasons, for example, because of dense breast tissue. Breast self exams sometimes find areas of concern that aren't identified by mammogram and are evaluated by ultrasound. It would be impossible to state whether or not your particular area of concern is related to or unrelated to malignancy but considering that you have a strong family history it would raise suspicion or concern and further evaluation would be recommended. An update would be greatly appreciated when your time permits. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here