Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Perianal Haematoma?

kevin74 - Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Whilst showering last Friday I felt a small lump on my anus. I also later that day started experiencing some slight pain in the area between my rectum and scrotum (same sort of feeling you get from a bruise) which comes and goes. The lump does not hurt and I have not been experiencing any pain when going to the toilet and have not suffered from any bleeding.

I went to my local doctor who saw the lump and said it was a perianal haematoma and that it would go on its own. Whilst reading up on this condition online all the articles i have seen indicate that the lump is tender and hurts and that you may experience pain when going to the toilet. As mentioned this has not been the case, the pain is nearby but in a slightly different spot.

My doctor did not do an overly thorough examination, but presume he knows what he is talking about, but just wanted to check if I should get a second opinion as I have had this for a week almost now and it does not seem to have improved? Also was wondering how long the discomfort should last for?

Many thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:58 pm

Perianal hematoma is almost always caused by some sort of trauma to the area. It can, of course, sometimes be spontaneous, but this is rare. If your doctor didn't do a thorough examination maybe you should go back or else get a second opinion (including a digital rectal exam). You don't mention any trauma to the area (bicyclists often wind up with this injury after hitting a pothole or bump in the road). The location is too close to the prostate for me to be comfortable with you just waiting for this to resolve on its own. While such hematomas can last a while post trauma (gravity and sitting both cause them to be slow to heal), I think a thorough exam would be far safer and if it actually is a spontaneous hematoma and there's nothing else going on, then that's great. If something else is going on, though, you'd really do well to know about it.

Hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here.

|