Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Purplish-whitish lump in my anus - doesn't hurt or bleed?

bellav17 - Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Female, 22

About 2 months ago I discovered a purplish-whitish lump in my anus. It does not hurt.. or bleed...it just gets irritated for a day or so after I go to the bathroom. I have never had anal sex. I am scared and too embarrassed to go to the doctor..please help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 pm

User avatar Hi there,

It's obviously impossible to make any useful deductions over the internet, but, I can talk to you a bit about anal cancer.

Anal cancer is a rare disease, usually appearing later in life and and is strongly related to sexual practice especially exposure to HPV. HPV whether in men or women increases the risk of developing this rare cancer. Homosexual men that practice receptive anal sex are at an increased risk.

Rectal bleeding is the most common presentation (not a purple-white lump). This appears in 45% of patients. 30% of patients complain of pain. 30% have a concomitant history of anorectal condyloma. Itching and eczema are symptoms of two common pre-cancerous conditions (Paget's disease and Bowen's disease, respectively).

While the chances that you have an anal cancer may be slim, nothing can be excluded without a direct clinical examination. I would suggest you get an exam to determine what exactly this is and have it dealt with as soon as possible.

Good luck!

|