News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Swollen Lymph Nodes Without Other Symptoms

sharkie - Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:22 am

I'm starting to get a bit worried. Wednesday morning I woke up with very swollen lymph nodes at the top of my neck behind the jaw. I looked kinda like a Frankenstein reenactment. I went to the doc Thursday, where he said the lymph nodes all along my jaw and upper neck were swollen. I have no fever, no sore throat, no ear issues, no sneezing, no coughing, no jaw or tooth pain - in short, no other symptoms. The doctor prescribed zithromax thinking perhaps it was an infection, but blood work showed no sign of infection. I look kind of like I have a banana chinstrap along my jaw from the swelling. I don't want to start thinking something is REALLY wrong, but what could be causing this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:02 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am assuming you have had a mumps vaccine (MMR) as a youngster. It is possible it is a viral infection and the antibiotics won't help that. Lab tests are helpful but not 100% accurate so perhaps your white cells were not elevated enough to detect infection.

If no infection is found, perhaps you have lymphedema due to a blockage or other problem with the lymph system (the blockage is more common in arms and legs however). There are treatments to reduce this but the doctor is correct in exploring the infectious concern first. He/she may need to continue with further labs or other tests to find out if anything else apparent if the swelling does not clear up soon.

Best wishes.
 em1ly - Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:45 am

Hi i have lumps in my necm one pea sized on side of throat one pea sized on back of neck and one larger one on back of neck no other symptons tht i know of other than sore ear feels like spot or bite but isnt visable.i had bloods taken to check 5 different things if it was lympoma cancer would it be detected in blood tests??im still very worried pls help,doctors just say its swolen lympth nodes
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:20 am

User avatar Hi em1ly,
If your doctor had diagnosed them as lymph nodal enlargement, I would assume them to be so and begin from there.
You have mentioned about pain in your ear.This may be the primary focus responsible for the regional lymph node enlargement.Most Lymphomas are best diagnosed by lymph node biopsies.In some lymphomas, blood tests may invoke suspicion.Please quit worrying and follow up with your doctor.Good luck!
 bip123 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi im a 36 yr old female an im so nervous that i have lymphoma, I have a enlarge lympnode in my rght groin.......i do get pain wen i cross my legs an i do get pain the rght hip wen i have intercourse ........i had this for a month now went to the doctors twice i did get an antiobitic an it didnt help, went for a physical an thats wen i told me dr. i had this , but nobody is telling me wat this is but other than that im doin good, so my quistions is does this sound like cancer? im so scared this is cancer

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here