Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: Recurrence of Cancer after Extensive Radiation therapy?

nuknuk11 - Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi...I'll try to make this as brief as possible while also including all pertinent information... first my question...Should I seek a second opinion? Now I'll quickly list past history and recent history...
1995-metastatic adenocarcinoma of cervix with multiple mets to lypmh nodes. was treated with 6 wks external beam radiation from chest to pelvis and four surgeries which included multiple lypmh node dissection and 3 intra-cessium radiation implant surgeries...

2005- started having unintended weight loss was given multiple tests i.e. colonoscopy/CT scans with no significant findings other than significant narrowing of sigmoid colon (perhaps due to extensive radiation)

2006-2007 weight loss continued... my normal weight has always been around 115lbs but it has dropped to 92lbs at lowest, currently, I'm at 98lbs.
Last January (2007) during routine blood test it was noted that I had an elevated blood calcium level (13.5). As a result of bloodwork my doctor ordered another CT scan and a PET Scan. The only findings on this most recent CT/PET were... "glucose metabolism mapping to the region of the pyloric canal..also demonstrating thickening"

Subsequently, my GI doc performed endoscopy and found duodenal ulcerations and was treated with antibiotics for H-Pylori (May 2007) and again in Oct 2007.

March 2008... About two weeks ago I woke up with pain in upper epigastric area and it has not yet gone away. The pain is not excruciating, but is quite bothersome. It definitely is worse if I move around and is most aleviated while either sitting still or leaning forward. I have had waves of nausea and vomited only once. But the nausea is constant, Ifeel like I'm dizzy most of the time and have not had any of my usual energy....very tired.

I visited the doctor yesterday and he has ordered more blood work as well as a sonagram of my gallbladder.

As a cancer survivor my paranoid mind sometimes gets the best of me. While all tests that I've had have not indicated any return of cancer, which is the best news!

However, I cannot help finding myself in some moments weak with worry, second guessing doctors, knowing that I don't "feel like myself" and haven't for some time.

Thank you in advance for reading my lengthy narrative and I really appreciate any feedback or additional insights you may have to offer...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 29, 2008 8:16 am

User avatar Hello there,

I hope you are feeling better by now and that the results of your investigations have all turned out good.

I completely understand the reason for your anxiety and it is normal for someone who has gone through the dreadful experience of dealing with cancer and its management.

It would be very unlikely for the cancer to recur so late after it was treated. Especially given that cervical cancer is curable in its limited stages. Another factor is the negative CT/PET which again makes it very unlikely that you do have a cancer. Nothing can be excluded however, I encourage you to continue pursuing the investigations that your doctor ordered. Please keep us updated.

|