Forum Name: Skin Cancer

Question: Multiple Sebaceous Cysts on Scrotum

guy82 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:02 am

I am a 26 years old guy. Few years ago, i start noticing small lumps on my scrotum but as its is not itchy or painful, i ignored it.

Now, the numbers of these lumps which i believed are Sebaceous Cysts had increased to more than 30 of them. Most of them are small, only 2 of them are bigger (0.5cm wide)

They are now itchy and i managed to squeeze out some of the puss inside. But the lump increased in size afterward.

I also experienced excessive sweating on my scrotum when I am outside. This caused extreme itchiness and it is very warm around that area. The itchiness does not only restricted to the areas with the cyst.

May I know all these problems are due to Sebaceous Cysts? I heard that by applying a heat pad to these cysts will be able to cure the cysts. Is it true? If not, surgical removal of all 30+ cysts seems like a tough job.

Thanks in advance for any advices offered.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:34 am

You are right that squeezing these cysts will only compound the problem since it creates a wound in an are that is typically full of bacteria. Most cysts will resolve on their own when left alone but in rare cases of multiple and large cysts, excision might be necessary to avoid further infection of surrounding tissues. You should see a dermatologist who can remove them if needed or advise you otherwise.

For home care of the cysts, use an antibacterial soap and bathe regularly with it. Apply warm, wet washcloths to the lumps for 20 to 30 minutes, 3 to 4 times a day. If you prefer, you can also use a hot water bottle or heating pad over a damp towel. The heat and moisture can soothe the lump, increase blood circulation to the area, and speed healing.

If by chance you are not eating a healthy diet, important in preventing and healing infections, you should be certain to take a vitamin to help. Vitamin A, C, the Bs and Zinc are all important in healing so a daily multivitamin might be a good idea.

You may be experiencing other problems relating to the excessive sweat such as a yeast infection but it is unlikely caused by the cysts. Yeast overgrowth occurs in a warm, moist environment such as the groin and can cause itching as you describe but can be treated with over-the-counter topical antifungal creams and powders. Keeping the area as clean and dry as possible will help prevent future outbreaks.

|