News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Fissure, Hemorrhoids or cancer?

momoy4 - Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:42 am

Hi there. Hope you can help me out.

I am 35 Years old male at 5'7" overweight at 220Lbs. My chronic problem is gout due to high uric acid of which i am constantly battling for almost 10 years now. Anyways I have switched to a vegetarian diet for two years already but loves carbs, sweets etc..which is why i am overweight.

I've been taking colchicine to cure my gout when I have an attack....

My question is this...recently for the past 6 days i have felt a progressive discomfort develop during bowel movement. I am not constipated as my stool is pretty much soft and whole.

Day 1 discomfort: slight pain in rectal area during defacation
day 2 discomfort: same slight pain
day 3 discmfort: same slight pain but checked with the tissue and saw very very very faint bloodstain almost very pink and only a tiny drop
day 4 discomfort: pain increasing during defacation... was able to pass..decided to go on high fiber diet
day 5 discomfot: same pain, but had a bit of a challenge passing...pain continues throughout half of the day while i am at the office...but very bearable...feels like there's a wound or something
day 6 discomfort: more pain while passing...a bit constipated and felt like there's a mass "inside" my rectum for the whole day....checked my underwear after lunch and saw drops of dried blood.

I am quite in a panic. Would this be a fissure, homorrhoids or something much like cancer.

appreciate your help and thanks in advance.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:05 am

User avatar Hello,

I apologize for the late response.

It would be impossible to make a guess without direct clinical examination. I hope you have had the chance to visit your doctor and that you got the clean bill of health!

Anal cancer is a relatively rare disease. It occurs more commonly in Black women than in Whites or Hispanics. More than 80% are 50-60yrs old.
However, during the last decade it has become more common in men younger than 35 years, reversing the gender ratio in this age group; it also is related to receptive anal intercourse.

Risk Factors with Strong Evidence:
HPV (anogenital warts)
History of receptive anal intercourse
History of STDs
>10 sexual partners
History of cervical, vulvar, or vaginal cancer
Immunosuppression after solid-organ transplantation.

About 25% of newly diagnosed patients with anal cancer do not have symptoms.
Bleeding or palpable mass occurs in 50% of patients.
Pain or spasm is a symptom in 40% of cases.
Sensation of a mass (not palpable) occurs in 25% and pruritus in 15%.
Coexistent conditions (ie, anal fistula, anal fissure, or hemorrhoids) are common. A high index of suspicion in the presence of a mass is warranted and a histological specimen should be taken whenever in doubt.

Good luck with your symptoms and please let us know if everything is ok!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here