News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Arm pit pain

Maureenjp - Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:37 am

I have a long story here and wondering if someone can help me.
I have had a swollen arm pit and breast in Aug. I went to a doctor right away to get some advice and was sent to a small hospital where I had an ultrasound done. Nothing was found. So, I was still dealing with pain but the swelling went down for a week or 2 then came back with pain in the left breast as well. So, I went back to the doctor and was told it would be good to have a mammogram. Had that done and all was clear. Now, in all this time, no one had mentioned to me what to do about the pain and so on. I decided to go to my GYN again and have some blood work done. Now while waiting for the results to come back in a week, My armpit blew up again and I went to my local GP and asked if it could be an infection. He gave me a low dose antibotic. 2 days later I go back for the results of the blood test, and was told I had an infection. So again, I go and show the results to my local GP. Now, I have been taking this antibotic and it seemed to be working at day 5 . I had little pain to nothing at all. But day 7 , today, in the evening the pain started again. We are having bad weather and I caught a slight cold on top of everything and I am taking medicine for that.
Now, since the pain has returned tonight , it also goes around to my back. I don't know if it is just from sitting the wrong way or from an infection or something else. I just don't know what to do , where to go to or what kind of treatment I should be having but am not getting. Can someone help me or advise me! I am getting desperate!!!!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:08 am

User avatar Dear Maureen,

What you are suffering from sounds to me like an infection but it lacks some of the characteristics of infection like having a fever, redness of the area and the intermittent course without treatment (usually infections are either progressive or self limited). This sounds like a skin infection as the antibiotic improved it.

At this time, i would recommend going to the doctor once more for renewal of the antibiotic or prescription for a stronger one.

If you are worried about what is going on in the breast are and whether or not this might might be something malignant, i think that mri now is being used by some to search for malignancy in the breast.

There is another remote possibility, that this could be shingles in an atypical presentation.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here