Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Arm pit pain

Maureenjp - Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:37 am

I have a long story here and wondering if someone can help me.
I have had a swollen arm pit and breast in Aug. I went to a doctor right away to get some advice and was sent to a small hospital where I had an ultrasound done. Nothing was found. So, I was still dealing with pain but the swelling went down for a week or 2 then came back with pain in the left breast as well. So, I went back to the doctor and was told it would be good to have a mammogram. Had that done and all was clear. Now, in all this time, no one had mentioned to me what to do about the pain and so on. I decided to go to my GYN again and have some blood work done. Now while waiting for the results to come back in a week, My armpit blew up again and I went to my local GP and asked if it could be an infection. He gave me a low dose antibotic. 2 days later I go back for the results of the blood test, and was told I had an infection. So again, I go and show the results to my local GP. Now, I have been taking this antibotic and it seemed to be working at day 5 . I had little pain to nothing at all. But day 7 , today, in the evening the pain started again. We are having bad weather and I caught a slight cold on top of everything and I am taking medicine for that.
Now, since the pain has returned tonight , it also goes around to my back. I don't know if it is just from sitting the wrong way or from an infection or something else. I just don't know what to do , where to go to or what kind of treatment I should be having but am not getting. Can someone help me or advise me! I am getting desperate!!!!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:08 am

User avatar Dear Maureen,

What you are suffering from sounds to me like an infection but it lacks some of the characteristics of infection like having a fever, redness of the area and the intermittent course without treatment (usually infections are either progressive or self limited). This sounds like a skin infection as the antibiotic improved it.

At this time, i would recommend going to the doctor once more for renewal of the antibiotic or prescription for a stronger one.

If you are worried about what is going on in the breast are and whether or not this might might be something malignant, i think that mri now is being used by some to search for malignancy in the breast.

There is another remote possibility, that this could be shingles in an atypical presentation.

|