News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: What to do with an Enlarged Lymph Node?

meadow - Sun May 04, 2008 1:29 pm

I have an enlarged lymp node in the left a little back side of my neck. It is smaller than one cm as my doctor told me. She asked for a blood test. and everything seemed normal except for a little high platelet and a little low ALP. My hemogram results, sedimentation level are normal. My doctor told me that it is nothing to worry about and that no need to go for other controls. However the enlarged lymph did not get normal after a month. I am very much worried that it might be due to lymphoma or leukemia. Is it possible that I have those diseases though I have the blood test below? I do not have any family history of those diseases, I do not have other symptoms either. I have a strange feeling like a twitching that happens in my legs nearly everyday generally at nights. Should I ignore the enlarged lymph node? What do you suggest me to do?

My Blood Test Result- CBC
leukosit 6.9 eritrosit 4.73 hemoglobin 13.6 hematokrit 41.1 mcv 86.6 mch 28.8 mchc 33.1 rdw 13.3 trombosit (platelet) 458 mpv 7.6 pct 0.346 pdw 16.1 neutrofil 51.6 ne 3.6 lenfosit 39.1 ly 2.7 mo 0.4 monosit 6.2 eozinofil 2.7 eo 0.2 bazofil 0.4 ba 0.0 sedimentation 5

Periferic..
eritrosit NN platelet 12-14 sigular in each area
P M N L 53% lenfosit 34% monosit 8% bazofil 2% eozonofil 3%
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 pm

User avatar Hello -

An enlarged lymph node can often be the sequel to a localized infection or even a systemic one. They almost always turn up with mononucleosis/EBV, and sometimes become cystic and stay like a little knot or bump for months. So long as your doctor isn't concerned (and your labs are normal enough), I would just try and forget about it and just check in another month or so. Oh, and your labs pretty much rule out leukemia. Lymphoma would manifest differently than this, so that's probably a no also, especially since your doctor would hardly be likely to miss it were it present.

I think what you have is a very slightly enlarged lymph node in your neck, which is a pretty common finding without anything serious going on.

The strange twitching in your legs, however, could be restless legg syndrome (RLS), totally unrelated to the lymph node, but now treatable if it bothers you enough to disturb your sleep. If it doesn't, then I'd leave that alone as well.

Good luck to you and I hope this eases your mind somewhat.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here