Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: SYMPTOMS OF OVARIAN CANCER?

catzeyes - Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:28 pm

I have recently developed a multitude of symptoms that are very worrisome and looks like I may possibly have something wrong with my ovaries.
I developed my first symptom of urinary frequency and urgency 8 months ago that lasted for two months. I have a history of UTI's so initially I took antibiotics that usually work. After seeing several doctors, and trying 3-4 different antibiotics, the urgency got better on its own, but did not totally go away. Three months ago, I added a second symptom of pain in my left kidney area, which over the next few months has relocated to the abdominal area, including sensitivity when I press on my ovaries. I also have lower back pain when I bend over or exercise. I have water retention in my lower and upper abdomen, and my clothes are fitting tighter. And last night I found a large thickened area or mass over my left ribcage. I am also dealing with an edema on my upper left leg, dry mouth, and loss of appetite.
I plan to see my doctor in the near future, but do these symptoms indicate ovarian cancer, or is something else going on in my body?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:57 pm

I am glad to hear you are seeing a doctor about this because it is very hard to guess what might be going on. I can probably ease your mind somewhat in telling you that ovarian cancer rarely has symptoms so this would not be a suspicion. On the negative side is that it is hard to diagnose early due to lack of symptoms so seeing your doctor regularly is always a good idea and if you have a family history of cancer - especially ovarian - you should discuss this risk factor with the doctor.

Any number of things can cause the symptoms you describe. A complete physical exam is your best idea.

Best wishes
 Dr. Ramy M. El-Helw - Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:51 am

Debbie, & to anyone whos situation is similiar,
First and foremost, it is important to note that seeing your primary physician is very important when you start to observe sighns that things are out of place.
Symptoms of ovarian cancer are more or less nonspecific. This means that their symptoms may or may not mimic symptoms of other conditions.
Non specific symptopms of ovarian cancer include numerous bladder and digestive disorders.
Infact, a woman who has ovarian cancer most of the time is misdiagnosd at first with another condition before learning that she actually has ovarian cancer.
Patients who do have Ovarian cancer will persistently see that their symptooms are becoming more of a hinderance as the days go by.
As ovarian cancer progresses, patients will experience urininary urgency, pelvic discomfort or pain, abdominal pressure, fullness, and severe swelling or bloating.
Additionaly, ovarian cancer symptoms extend with other syptoms such as gas, nausea, lower back pain, altered menstration cycles, increased abdominal girth (cloth fit alot tighter), constipation, and
dyspareunia.which is severe pain during intercourse.
You also have a history of Urinary Tract Infections. UTI's have similiar symptoms.
It is clear that your body is retaining alot of water and at the very least you may need to be put on a water pill regimen such as Lasix or Hydrochlorothiazide to regulate this matter.
An important rule of thumb ladies and gentleman is that when a loved one is experiencing symptoms that they be taken to the doctor right away. Intervention and early detection have saved lives and could save more lives the more proactive we are.
For females reading my post, See your doctor if you have any type of swelling, pressure or pain in your abdominal area, any sort of bloating, and any strange pelvic pains. Furthermore, if you hav recieved a diagnoses and still feel uneasy about the diagnoses go get a second opinion.
Remember, Ovarian cancer is not always thought to be the intitial diagnoses and many people live withthe cancer thinking it is somethign else until its too late.
Be proactive!
Dr.Ramy M. El-Helw

|