Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: painless but hard lump in armpit

kriegspiel - Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:54 am

I'm currently 17, with a family history of breast cancer. Recently, within the last week I have noticed a hard, painless lump in my armpit which could be a swollen lymph node. The lump also seems attached to the skin. Would it be wise to consult a medical doctor soon or wait a few weeks to see if the situation returns to normal?

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 pm

While the lump you describe does sound like a cyst, the fact that it is painless and the family history of breast cancer argues that you not wait to have this clarified. If it's benign you can then take your time with it. If it's not (although the chances are it is benign), you're going to want to know as early as possible, while the problem is still localized and more easily resolved.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us.

|