Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Painless hard lumps under both nipples

Jake91 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi, I am a 17 year old male and I have had lumps under each nipple since I was 14. I was told it was just something to do with hormones. Well I have noticed that they have become about half an inch bigger over this period of time.I was worried it could have been cancer, but I do not have any other symptoms besides the lumps, and they they appeared at the same time is each breast which is unlikely if it were cancer I think? But to be safe I would like to know what the chances of it being cancer is? I am planning to see the doctor soon, but I would like to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 pm

This is probably due to a physiological change that occurs to adolescents and is known as gynecomastia. It is a growth of glandular tissue in male breasts. It occurs due to hormonal changes during puberty. The median age of onset is 14 years and it usually regress at the age of 20.

It is bilateral but may be asymmetrical and a disc like growth is felt under the nipple and is usually painful and/or tender.

Understanding the condition is usually reassuring and no intervention is needed. Those who have a more than moderate enlargement with skin redundancy causing psychological problems and embarrassment may need plastic surgery.

Hope you find this information useful. Follow up with your doctor is essential to exclude other causes (e.g. inflammation, hormonal abnormalities, tumors etc)
Please keep us updated.

|