News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: consumption of Phytosoya capsules by male

rahul166 - Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:53 pm

I am a 36 years male. I consumed Phytosoya capsules (17.5 mg) for two days. One each on one day. I read on net that Phytosoya contain estrogen and Phytosoya causes breast/ prostate cancer. I immediately stopped the consumption and realised my mistake. My concern is that whether consuming only 2 no of such capsules can cause such a fatal disease. Kindly advice. Should I do some test/ seek advice from a doctor OR just forget and stop worrying.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:26 pm

User avatar Hello -

There seems to be very little information on photosoya on the 'net, but I can tell you that almost all carcinogens require constant or chronic exposure to cause malignancy, and while I can find no specific information on this substance I feel quite safe in saying that having taken two capsules should have little to no effect of any kind, and certainly wouldn't be enough of an exosure to cause cancer.

I hope this is helpful to you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
I agree with John.
Studies of the role of human and plant estrogens in breast cancer and other cancers are so contradictory. At the time of the menopause, aiming to restore estrogen levels and reduce menopauasal symptoms like hot flushes and night sweats, diet and standardised supplements are usually prescribed. Phyto Soya Capsules, are one of these standardized supplements that contains an extract of non-genetically modified soya proved to be effective in a French trial.

Animal studies have linked active compound in soya with tumor development and growth. However, clinical studies linked soy consumption with either a lower risk of breast cancer, or no effect.

Recently published study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, suggest that Japanese women, at least when consumed soy isoflavones (contain estrogen receptor activator) through diet have a reduced risk of breast cancer.

But whether these results can be applied to women in Western countries is not clear. However, all data and studies are based on regular long term intake of these compounds especially at young age. Sporadic exposure to carcinogen seldom cause cancer. The length of exposure is more determinant for cancer development.

So, you are not considered as being exposed to one of cancer risk factors or to a carcinogen since the duration of exposure is almost null and the active compound in your medication is not universally accepted to be a true risk for cancer development.

Hope you find this information useful and reassuring.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here