News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: Tender Lump on top of head, dizzy & nauseous when touched

Diamondbaby - Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:29 pm

I noticed this morning a painful slightly raised area on the top of my head. I noticed it while brushing my hair. It is on the top of my head almost all the way back and slightly to the right side (my right). When I touch or rub it, it makes me feel dizzy and nauseous.

I do not remember getting hit or anything recently. I have had at least 3 serious head injuries in the past. One at age 6 mo. (head cracked open - near death), one at age 20 (fell on ice, hit head on concrete on right side - blackened eyes), and one at age 24 on left side.

I am currently taking Wellbutrin fXL 450 for depression. Occasional headaches that subside when I take 3 Motrin.

Do you know what this could be? Is it common?

Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:50 pm

User avatar Hello,

This swelling could be of skin, subcutaneous tissue or bone origin.
Characters of this swelling like its consistency, mobility, relation to surrounding tissues, etc would make it easier to suspect possible causes.

You may have been recently exposed to a minor trauma that caused inflammation of the skin and subcutaneous tissue of this part resulting in a localized collection of inflammatory fluid that is felt as a swelling.

It could also be related to one of the previous traumas you have been exposed to. One of them may have been severe enough to cause bone injury that when healed caused an elevation in this part of the skull.

Feeling of nausea when it is touched is difficult to be explained before clinical and radiological examination.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor who may recommend a plain X-ray skull or CT Scan of the brain.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 Diamondbaby - Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:58 pm

Thank you, I will visit my doctor for futher examination.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here