News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Leukemia

Question: 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER PLT/LYMPH HIGH

mikeklein - Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm

My daughter is 6 and was tested 6 weeks ago and retested yesterday. According to CBC, Her WBC is 9.9K/uL, PLT 562K/uL, Lymph 51%. According to manual differential, Lymphs are 52%. They are referring her to pediatric hematologist. We are scared she has Leukemia, as the doctor mentioned that as a possibility. I can send more info, please tell me if the numbers are dooming.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
Normal white blood cell count WBC in children aged 6 years is in the range of 5-14.5 x 109/Liter. Lymphocytes represents 20- 42% of the total WBC count. Thus the absolute lymphocyte count in children aged 6 years is 1.5-7.

Relative lymphocytosis is commonly seen in children due to infections. Absolute lymphocytosis is defined by absolute lymphocyte count of > 7 x 109/Liter
Viral infection is known to cause lymphocytosis (relative or absolute) with or without neutropenia. Infectious mononucleosis or cytomegalovirus infection, respiratory syncytial virus infections, etc are all examples of viral infections that give this picture.

Another rare cause is chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

Normal platelet count in children and adults is 150–400 x 109/Liter. High platelet values occurs following bleeding, in iron deficiency anemia, and other diseases like cancer or bone marrow disorders (levels are very high in the last two causes).

The given results for your daughter does not make leukemia very likely but in the context of direct clinical examination and complete medical history I assume that her doctor found it more reasonable to consult hematologist and exclude the most serious causes. This is very reasonable and I agree with him to do so.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards.
 number1mom - Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 am

I have an 8 year old daughter who was hospitilized recently with an acute case of asthma. During the hospital stay, many tests were done, such as chest xray, cbc, they tested her for pneumonia, swine flu, etc. All of her lab work and test came back normal. There was no underlying bacterial infection. She also was not on any kind of steroid therapy at that time. Her CBC showed WBC as 6.6, RBC as 4.16, HGB as 12.5, HCT as 36.9, MCV as 88.7, MCH as 30.0, MCHC as 33.9, RDW as 12.5, PLT as 198, MPV as 10.6, Neutophils as 95.2, (High) , Bands as 1.0, Lymphocytes as 3.8 (Low). She has nosebleeds around 6-7 times a month and has been getting bruises on her legs that are unexplained. She seems to be more tired than usual, going to sleep every day when she gets home from school. I am very concerned that she may have leukemia as her uncle passed away from it and she has a cousin who is suffering with it now. Does this all sound like something I need to check into further? I would really appreciate an answer as I am very anxious and wooried. Thank you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here