Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: A lot of blood in stools (semi solid blood)

tianqin - Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:53 am

Dear Doctor,

I am writing in as a very worried young man of age 19+, it is regarding the Colorectal cancer.I have been experiencing many symptoms that shows the possibility of Colorectal Cancer.

My observations are as followed:

1. Previously I have blood in my vowels, then slowly it get more and more; now it is like water ( but in form of blood).
2. I have experience constant tiredness
3. I get hungry very easily after about an hour after eating.
4. Sometimes my vowels is semi hard and sometime feeling of incomplete emptying of bowels.
5. Stools that are narrower than usual size
6. I have not been been growing at all since the pass few years ( about 4 to 5 years).
7. Sometimes I feel bloatedness, fullness and cramps
8. It happen almost every time i visit the toilet - after the the vowels.

Please advice me whether it is Colorectal Cancer. If it is, then roughly what stage is it now. I hope to hear from you soon to lessen regarding this 'colorectal cancer'.
Please roughly give me an overview of the case above.
Also please do not just ask me to seek medical treatment straight away as my finance is a bit tight. Please advice me what to do. It has been quite sometimes since the first saw the blood.

Thank you in advance for your kind and professional advice. God bless you my good and kind doctors.

Best Regards,
Vern
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:55 pm

Bloody diarrhea and changes in bowel habits usually occurs due to inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum and the colon, a condition known as proctitis and proctocolitis, respectively.

These conditions are either due to infectious (e.g. parasites, protozoa) or non infectious causes like inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis).

- Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis:
They have very similar pathogenesis thus give similar clinical picture in the form of bouts of watery or bloody diarrhea and abdominal pain.
While, Ulcerative colitis affects mainly in the large bowel (colon and rectum), Crohn's disease can occur anywhere in the digestive tract. Patient usually lose weight and if the disease becomes active early during childhood, growth retardation may occur. Colonoscopy and biopsy are diagnostic. Medications used in the treatment of these diseases can result in long term remission of the symptoms, but not in cure. Persistent and frequent attacks mandate medical consultation and treatment other wise serious complications may occur.

- Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e. g. Entamoeba histolytica. Diagnostic tests include stool analysis and culture to check for parasites and protozoa. Specific antimicrobial therapy is used for treatment accordingly.

Other causes to be looked for include:
- Colon polyps and colon cancer should be excluded. Colonoscopy and biopsy are of choice.

- Irritable bowel syndrome IBS is a disease diagnosed by exclusion. Patients present with abdominal pain or colic and either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them with mucus or less commonly blood containing stools. Symptoms increase during periods of stress.

Other diseases to be excluded although less likely are Gastritis, GERD, and Peptic ulcer. But Blood in stools is usually occult and not fresh red.

As you can see, there is no substitution for direct clinical examination and complete history especially that your symptoms are not mild, very concerning and shared by different diseases.

I hope you can be able to contact your doctor soon.
Please keep us updated.

|