News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: tender knots in both armpit areas that appear in different l

marysalter - Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm

i have hard knots under the skin, now under both my armpits. sometimes the knots will be just under or above the pit. they generally go away after a few days and the next day one will appear in a different spot. at times they are quite sore and seem to feel hot. they are generally small knots but vary in size. they just started appearing about a month and a half ago, and i had a baby a little over 2 months ago. i don't know if that has anything to do with this or not. i have seen a doctor (at the time i had not experienced any knots under my right arm), and was advised that as long as i don't see any signs of infection that i shouldnt worry. however, i am worried that there may be something wrong. thanks for any suggestions you may be able to give. mary s.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect these are enlarged lymph nodes. The lymph system works constantly to keep infection at bay by producing lymphocytes and monocytes. It also absorbs and moves fatty acids to the circulatory system, and it removes interstitial fluids from the tissues. These nodes are numerous in the arm pit and some variation such as you describe can be normal.

I'm glad you have consulted with your doctor because it is always good to keep an eye on changes that occur in your body. It also gives a baseline for noticeable changes that may occur. If you have pain or show signs of infection, fever, etc. you should let your doctor know.

Best wishes.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
I agree with Debbie that this could be a lymph node enlargement probably of a benign cause. I also advise you to observe it carefully and to inform your doctor once they become, more swollen, painful, tender, hot, or red. These are signs of inflammation that mandate antibiotic therapy.

The fact that these nodes are bilateral and have an intermittent course makes it less likely to be a cancer. If you are lactating, inflammatory cause is a strong possibility as well.

However, direct clinical examination is essential to better characterize this mass and to determine the need for further investigations.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to inform him with any change in this swelling or in the breast.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here