Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: tender knots in both armpit areas that appear in different l

marysalter - Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:35 pm

i have hard knots under the skin, now under both my armpits. sometimes the knots will be just under or above the pit. they generally go away after a few days and the next day one will appear in a different spot. at times they are quite sore and seem to feel hot. they are generally small knots but vary in size. they just started appearing about a month and a half ago, and i had a baby a little over 2 months ago. i don't know if that has anything to do with this or not. i have seen a doctor (at the time i had not experienced any knots under my right arm), and was advised that as long as i don't see any signs of infection that i shouldnt worry. however, i am worried that there may be something wrong. thanks for any suggestions you may be able to give. mary s.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 pm

I suspect these are enlarged lymph nodes. The lymph system works constantly to keep infection at bay by producing lymphocytes and monocytes. It also absorbs and moves fatty acids to the circulatory system, and it removes interstitial fluids from the tissues. These nodes are numerous in the arm pit and some variation such as you describe can be normal.

I'm glad you have consulted with your doctor because it is always good to keep an eye on changes that occur in your body. It also gives a baseline for noticeable changes that may occur. If you have pain or show signs of infection, fever, etc. you should let your doctor know.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:59 pm

I agree with Debbie that this could be a lymph node enlargement probably of a benign cause. I also advise you to observe it carefully and to inform your doctor once they become, more swollen, painful, tender, hot, or red. These are signs of inflammation that mandate antibiotic therapy.

The fact that these nodes are bilateral and have an intermittent course makes it less likely to be a cancer. If you are lactating, inflammatory cause is a strong possibility as well.

However, direct clinical examination is essential to better characterize this mass and to determine the need for further investigations.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to inform him with any change in this swelling or in the breast.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.

|