News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: HPV & Anal Cancer?

sommerjaee - Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 am

I'm a 23yr old female who was diagnosed with cervical cancer back in april. Lately, I have been feeling very fatigue and sick(constant headaches, no energy, nausea). I noticed a lump which is colored black about the size of a dime on the right buttocks about 2 inches from the anus. Upon further examining i found another discolored lump shaped like an almond on the opening of the anus. My bowel hardly move and (I've tried all the tricks) when they do its diarreha or thin stool, yet I still feel the need to go but don't. I noticed today some spotting of blood on the toilet paper. I have had anal sex about 3 times with my boyfriend. Could the HPV have caused another cancer other than cervical cancer in me? Please help me with my question.

Thanks you,
sommerjaee
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:50 am

User avatar Hello,

To answer your question: yes! you are at risk of developing anal cancer.

Risk factors with strong evidence include:
1. HPV
2. History of receptive anal intercourse
3. History of sexually transmitted disease
4. Multiple sexual partners (>10)
5. Previous cancers of the cervix, vagina, or vulva
6. Immunosuppression after solid-organ transplantation.

At young age its actually more common in homosexual males but above 35 years of age its more common in females.

Given you are at increased risk you should have your lump examined right away. That however, doesn't mean that your lump is necessarily anal cancer. On the contrary, a thrombosed hemorrhoid would be a much more likely possibility. It would also be associated with bleeding related to stools and constipation. Another possibility is a wart (HPV).

Please keep us updated and good luck!
 Paloma Real - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 pm

Did you ever find out if HPV was the cause of your problems? I have always wondered if it can cause cancer in other places. Hope all is well.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here