News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: Patela Nodule

COkar - Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:57 pm

I am writing for my 79 year old father. He has a nodule below his kneecap shaped like an egg; about half the size of small egg; no pain involved; doctor tried to aspirate 2 times and got nothing; had blood work done and white cell count normal, no fever, rheumatoid arthritus negative; doctor had MRI done - either he or Radiologist says Bursitis
How can this be with no pain ever and no fluid in nodule; My dad also has unusual fatigue and no energy for more than 3 months
He monitors his blood sugar well, has good blood pressure, had good PSA 4 months ago, no fever
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:37 pm

User avatar Hello,

Prepatellar bursitis causes pain and swelling in front of the kneecap during acute phase of inflammation. If the condition is repeated and following recurrent attacks of acute bursitis, thickening of the bursa tissue occurs and folds of bursa tissue are formed and felt as lumps.

MRI is the test of choice and any suspicious signals would direct further investigations. So, I assume that his doctor did not see any malignancy concerning features on your father͗s MRI.

However, considering his personal history of prostate cancer and assuming that this a recent swelling, it is better to do a new PSA and a bone scan to exclude serious causes like bone metastasis although unlikely if MRI results are very clear and not just suggestive

I advise you to discuss these possibilities with his doctor to be reassured that he has excluded all serious causes for this swelling. You also should observe this swelling and any changes like increase in size should be reported to his doctor.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here