Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: pre cancer polyp's

luckyD - Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 am

I was feeling bad for a long time where food didn't smell good especially coking of food and meat. I was tired all the time I went to my family Doctor and requested to get a blood test taken for anything in my blood that would be abnormal. Everything came back and the only thing he found was my folic acid was low and he gave me prescription for folic acid. My family Doctor said that low folic acid would make me tired. After that I went and got a colonoscopy to check for cancer or anything there. They gave me medication that calmed me way down and I watched the whole procedure on the monitor. I could see the Polp's on the monitor and I could see where he was taking them off. When I went back to get my result's he said I had 2 prcancer's polyp's and 1 was benign and he removed all of them and said see you in three years. After that I felt better and food being cooked and the smell of cooked meat went away. I feel much better know. What I do not understand if it was the polp's making me sick or if the folic acid is makeing me fill better?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:53 pm

People who are diagnosed with colon polyps are categorized into average risk, high risk and very high risk groups according to the multiplicity, size,degree of dysplasia, their macroscopic picture, personal and family history of colon polyps or cancer.

In your condition, having multiple polyps that are proved to be precancerous put you into the high risk category. Management is colonoscopy and removal of all polyps.

Then another colonoscopy should be done within three years, if this is proved to be normal you are put into the average risk group (above 50 years old) for them follow up with FOBT annually and colonoscopy every ten years is the standard of care.

Colonoscopic polypectomy and subsequent surveillance reduce the incidence of colon cancer by 90%, compared to unscreened controls.

Low folate level is commonly seen in alcoholics and malnourished individuals. It causes anemia which presents with easy fatigability.

Some epidemiological studies showed that folate deficiency has a role in colon carcinogenesis.

It is good that you have been managed properly for both conditions, and whether correcting folic acid level or resection of these polyps improved your symptoms can not be clarified but surely they both did improved your symptoms and your general condition.

So, I advise you to follow up with you doctor and to carefully report your symptoms to him.

Please keep up us updated.

|