News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Matted Lymph nodes

woodswendy1 - Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi, I have never posted here so I am not really sure what to say so here goes..I am a 26 year old mother of 2 in the past 3 months I have lost about 25 lbs and am now down to 103 lbs. About 2 months ago I noticed a swollen node in my neck below the jawline on the right side only, I didnt think much of it at the time. I have felt off and on sick and just not feeling right for a while now and then about 3 weeks ago I noticed an enlarged node in my groin area (Bikini line) on the right side also.Well it felt pretty large so I went to the doctor last week and he was concered with the neck and groin nodes and told me he felt the large groin nodes were several smaller swollen nodes that had connected together. He sent me in for blood work and a chest x-ray and said if those did not tell him anything that he would set me up to have them biopsy them. My question is what are the reasons for matted nodes and are they more commenly cancer or something else. He seemed quite concered with my symptoms of weightloss and hot flashes but am not sure what to exspect or make of the situation. I would appreciate any comments or info and or advice on my situation, My husband is deployed at the moment and is concered as well. Thanks for your time.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:37 pm

User avatar Hello,

Nodes are generally considered to be normal if they are smaller than 1 cm in diameter; however, for inguinal nodes, those larger than 1.5 cm are generally considered abnormal. When these nodes are felt connected as one unit are named matted.
As for any lymph node enlargement, matted nodes can also be due to benign (e.g.post-infection, granulomas etc) or malignant cause (e.g.lymphoma).

Complete history and thorough physical examination represent the primary step that suggests possible causes and investigations accordingly. Generalized lymphadenopathy is approached differently from localized ones.

The fact that you also have constitutional symptoms especially the recent weight loss made your doctor concerned about the nature of these nodes. I assume that he also found clinically suggestive or unexplained features that mandate further investigations otherwise he would considered only follow up.

I agree with him to further investigate your condition for proper diagnosis and management.
Please follow up with your doctor and keep us updated.
Best regards.
 woodswendy1 - Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. My doctor has me set up for a Ct Scan of the neck, chest, stomach and pelvis and then we will decide what to do based on those results. I will keep you updated. Thanks so much.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here