Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: small hard lump on cheek

ekinekin - Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Recently I've found a small hard lump about the size of a marble (or pea) on my cheek. if i press down on my cheek on top of my lower jaw line, i can feel it and it can move around. I don't know what it is but I do have a couple of lumps on my neck since i was very little and I am still fine. However this cheek lump is new. What could it be? please help
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:27 pm

The swelling you have described is probably an enlarged Lymph node LN (probably a preauricular LN) and those felt in your neck are probably enlarged cervical nodes. Nodes larger than 1 cm are considered abnormal and should be approached properly. Being of the same size for a long time is reassuring and makes their benign nature more likely.

Lymph node enlargement usually occurs following infection or inflammation in the area drained by this lymph node group which in your case include the ear, the teeth, the gum and the throat. They regress in size but never disappear when infection or inflammation subsides thus remain palpable, painless, rubbery to firm in consistency and usually less than 1.5 cm in size.
Other causes to be excluded include benign diseases and malignant conditions.

A thorough clinical examination of all lymph node groups in the body in addition to compete history are essential for better characterization of these lymph nodes and determining the need for further investigations.

Please follow up with your doctor and keep us updated.

|