News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Ovarian Cancer

Question: Fertility after ovarian cystectomy

AllyT - Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:33 am

I have recently undergone laparoscopy to treat large ovarian cysts on both ovaries. I had a very large cyst drained on my right ovary and a cystectomy to remove two large cysts off left ovary. One of which was a dermoid cyst. Both ovaries have been left in tact. I am on birth control for a couple of months to rest my ovaries. I am worried whether my ovaries will work again after all they have been through. I am planning to start a family but am so scared they will not work. Do ovaries tend to work after undergoing such procedures?
Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:26 pm

User avatar Hello,

Any collection of fluid, surrounded by a very thin wall, within an ovary is known as ovarian cyst. Most ovarian cysts are functional and not harmful. They affect women of all ages but mainly during their childbearing periods. Small cysts causing no symptoms are usually kept under follow up and some types are expected to disappear in few months.

Larger (>5cm), complicated cysts and commonly dermoid cysts (benign cysts that usually develop at young age) are treated surgically and most cysts can be removed with laparoscopic surgery. Cysts are decompressed laparoscopically, so that the cyst wall is removed and the normal ovarian tissue is saved to preserve normal function and conserve fertility.

Removing cysts (cystectomy) without removing the ovary or removing one ovary completely (oophorectomy) by skilled surgeon allow preserving fertility. Following surgical removal of ovarian cysts, it is recommended to suppress ovarian function for a short period of time as you mentioned allowing them to rest.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor; he will also recommend some investigations during the follow up period to ensure that everything is within expectations. I advise you also to remind him with your positive family history of cancer (type was not specified) so he can recommend the best follow up plan.

Hope you find this information useful.
Please keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here