Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: hard lump below left tonsil with pain for 2 yrs

seanine - Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 am

Hello, I am female age 32. I did smoke for a couple of years as an adolescent. My jaw clicks-out of place. Dentist said there are no absesses.

A couple of years age I got sick of the pain sometimes in the left side of throat area and ear aches so I tried to source the pain. By sticking my finger down my throat, I found a hardish small lump below the left tonsil that has not gone away with antibiotics in the past.

If I press on it, it gives a dullish pain around the surrounding area. The pain is now starting to become worse in the side of the jaw and neck and inside the ear. I do not get nausea or cancer symptoms just pain sometimes that needs panadol.

Could it be tonsil/ throat cancer/small hard slow growing cyst?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:20 pm

It is very difficult to tell from your description without clinical examination what this swelling could be. However, different causes to be looked for include:

- Chronic tonsillitis that usually results from recurrent inadequately treated acute forms of tonsil infections.

- Recurrent infections especially bacterial ones cause deposition of certain chemicals that makes the tonsils feel hard, a condition known as tonsil stones.

- Lymph node enlargement due to past infections in the throat can also give similar clinical picture.

- Less likely to be a tonsil cancer since it has been of the same size without progression for 2 years. But the unilateral presentation and your past history make exclusion of this possibility mandatory.

You did not mention in which part basal cell carcinoma BCC lesions were diagnosed and how you have been treated. This is very important to exclude disease or treatment related complications.

Clinical examination is essential and investigations (like CT Scan of the neck) are required to exclude serious causes like cancer.

I advise you to seek ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist consultation..

Hope you find this information useful
Please keep us updated.
 seanine - Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 am

Thankyou for your reply. I found out what is was. It was a large polyp in the left antrum. Could you tell me whether I need to go back and see th ENT again as they are not usually cancerous but it needs to be removed eventually doesn't it?

|