Forum Name: Sarcoma

Question: Soft swelling on one of my lips around my vaginal opening

Jooles1977 - Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:43 pm

I am 25 weeks pregnant and have been feeling some pain around my pelvic area. When I was in the shower I felt some swelling around one of my lips where my pubic hair grows. I have been diagnosed with SPD (Symphisis Pubic Dysfunction) however this swelling I have is not related as I did not have this swelling during my first pregnancy even though I had SPD. When I touch it it feels like if your veins are swollen and you press on it, it feels soft and squishy like that, the way varicose veins feels like (I have one on my knee). I have had my husband take a look and he says it isn't red or rashy looking - it is just the same colour as my skin. When I pinch it between my fingers I don't feel any lumps but to look at it it looks lumpy. When I am lying down and I feel it it doesn't feel sore but when I am standing and I put my finger on it and press it lightly, it feels a little sore so I'm not sure if this pain is coming from the swelling or my SPD. I have discovered this since I have been 20 weeks pregnant. Do you have any ideas? I am too embarrassed to go to my Doctor as it is a new Doctors practise I have joined and haven't met the female Doctor and so would prefer not to visit but I know I have to do something about this. There is no history of cancer in my family but it is something that has been on my mind.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 pm

The swelling you have felt could be dilated veins or a form of localized edema. Varicose veins are known to develop during pregnancy in the pelvic area (genital and anal).

The two halves of the pelvis are connected at the front by a joint called the symphysis pubis. This joint is strengthened by ligaments that allow little movement. During pregnancy relaxin hormone softens the ligaments in your pelvis and makes them moves more frequently to accomodate for the fetus.

Improper movement of the two sides causes pain and inflammation at the symphysis pubis. The condition is improved gradually after labor and with physiotherapy.

The labia majora are fatty layers that fuse anteriorly with the anterior prominence of the symphysis pubis. Thus inflammation of the symphysis pubis may cause edema of the surrounding muscle and skin including the labia majora. However, this causes a diffuse swelling in labia majora that is more prominent and is associated with severe pain.

The only way to better define this swelling is through direct clinical examination. So, I advise you to seek direct medical consultation for proper evaluation.

Please keep us updated.

|