Forum Name: Brain Tumors

Question: 9mm lipoma and chronic headaches

Aeowyn - Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:52 pm

I have a lipoma in the right quadrimental plate cistern. It was originally found 20 years ago due to a buzzing and roaring sound in my ears and was 3mm. Four years ago I suffered a temporary stroke-like episode that caused severe numbness to my left side and tremendous pain. The MRI showed the lipoma at 9mm. The numbness went away and full function of my left side has returned with only a marginal reduction in strength in the left extremities. I have chronic headaches and my doctors all say a lipoma is NOTHING to worry about. Should I be concerned or just deal with the headaches? In addition, I am now experiencing chest pain that feels like a tightening or squeezing in my chest that is sometimes accompanied by profuse sweating and dizzyness
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 am

Intracranial lipomas are rare benign congenital neoplasms (0.1 to 0.5% of all primary brain tumors). They usually develop in the midline and are associated with other cerebral developmental disorders (in 50%). They are known to be slowly growing and seldom cause symptoms or require surgery.

They are usually discovered accidentally with CT-Scans and associated symptoms are thought to be due to an associated mid line disorders or vascular variants.

When surgery is indicated, all attempts are done to make surgical manipulation the minimum (incomplete removal) to avoid complications.

Your history is suggestive of an associated intracranial vascular problem that caused stoke and possibly causing your current symptoms.

If your symptoms persists or progressive I would advise you to contact your doctor and do a new CT Scan or MRI brain. It is important to follow up the lipoma (size and appearance) and to exclude any other associated anomalies.

The character of your chest pain makes exclusion of cardiovascular problems essential, considering also your strong positive family history for heart disease and being a chronic smoker. EKG and echocardiography are recommended investigations to check for cardiac functions.

Only by direct clinical examination and complete history the proper investigations can be recommended to reach the final diagnosis and the specific treatment.

Hope you find this information useful.

|