News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: boil on my breast

shalini - Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 pm

hi doctor,

Iam 26 yrs old, married for three years. For the past year i have got three boils on my breasts.First two on my left side, now i have a boil on my right side of my breast.i pain for 5 days and then it drys out. i have not consulted a doctor till now.
i smoke atleast 5-6 ciggrattes daily.Could it be a breast boil or something else??

Shalini
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:49 pm

User avatar Hello,

Skin infection in the form of pus containing blisters are commonly seen when there is a drop in the immune system like local skin damage, during periods of stress or people with diabetes mellitus.

Since the skin is a very delicate part of the body it can be easily damaged and invaded with different forms of organisms. Skin parts that are more hairy or fatty are more predisposed.

The part of the skin that is attacked by bacteria forms pus containing blisters when these bacteria are destroyed by the immune system. These bacteria (like Staphylococcus aureus) forms part of the normal skin flora and attack the skin once it is damaged.

Furuncle or boils are forms of these blisters which have one or more openings onto the skin. Small forms resolve spontaneously and recover quickly, while larger ones need antibiotic treatment and sometimes drainage.

Recurrent skin infections are usually due to inadequate treatment of acute infection form or due to an underlying cause that makes their skin highly predisposed. Local causes include frequent skin damage in those who have sensitive skin or inappropriate hygienic measures. Systemic causes include diabetes mellitus.

Direct clinical examination is very essential for proper diagnosis and treatment.
So, I advise you to keep this part always clean and dry, do a blood sugar test and consult your doctor.

Please keep us updated.
Best regards

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here