Forum Name: Chemotherapy

Question: Desmoplastic small round cell tumor

Anonymous - Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:50 am

I just want to know more about desmoplastic small round cell tumor.
 Dr. Jeffrey Gordon - Fri May 09, 2003 10:49 am

A desmopladtic small cell tumor usually affects adolescents and adults of young age. The common part of the body affected is the abdomen and usually surgery is not undertakne since the tumor is located in multiple locations and may well be widespread in the abdomen. There is a chromosomal finding in this disease: a translocation between chromosomes # 11 and 22. This is a distinct translocation form that seen in Ewing's sarcoma. A diagnosis of a specific type of sarcoma should be done by a trained Pathologist who is versed in the complexities and challenges of sarcomas. Before calling a sarcoma a desmoplastic small cell tumor, it is imperative that a thorough Pathology analysis be done since sometimes various types of sarcomas look alike. For my patients with sarcomas, I have a Pathologist at a sarcoma center review the pathology.

|