Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Lump on back of my head, thoughts?

Kronis2 - Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:29 pm

I have a lump slightly less than 1cm on the back of my head, perhaps two inches back from my right ear, at about the 2/3 mark in height relative to the ear. Noticed it one day while in the shower, possibly a sudden manifestation, but it could have been around a while.

The lump palpates (I can roll it, feel it move a bit) and does not feel "attached" to my skull, is firm, though with a little "give", does not hurt, no surface marks. It has smooth margins, and smooth surface, i.e. I can't feel any surface variations in the lump.

So, the questions is, when to worry and get it evaluated, if at all? Appreciate any thoughts. My suspicion is cyst or accumulated fluid from something?

Thanks!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 pm

The swelling you have is probably an enlarged Lymph node as it occurs in a Lymph node region.

It is common to have lymph node enlargement following infection or inflammation in the area drained by this lymph node group. A history of scalp or ear infection may be present or passed unnoticed.

Following infection or inflammation, lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender. They then regress in size but some may never return to normal size after recovery. These remaining lymph nodes are usually painless, mobile, rubbery in consistency and about 1 cm in size.

Other swellings that should be excluded are lipomas and follicular cyst which is more related to hair follicles.
Direct clinical examination is essential for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Please continue to follow up with your doctor and keep us updated.

|