Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Swollen Neck on the right side

xobrittneyox - Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 am

hey
my neck on the right side has been swallon now for 4 months, i also just got diagnosed with an ear infection on the right side as well. The doctor also told me that my tonsel on the right side was elevated. I also have been feeling really tired and exhausted even tho im getting tons of sleep at night. I got blood work done and the doctor said that everything appears to be fine, I also had an ultrasound on my thyriod and it came back normal. COuld it be something to do with my lymph nodes?
thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:10 pm

It would be more helpful if you can inform us more about the characters of this swelling like its exact site: is it a diffuse swelling on the right side of the neck or more localized (lump) and if localized what about its size, is it painful, tender, etc.

Following ear, throat, tonsil, gum or dental infection, draining lymph nodes especially those in the upper side of the neck become enlarged, painful and tender.

After treatment of infection with adequate course of antibiotics, they should regress in size but some may never return to normal size. Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are significant and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us updated.
 xobrittneyox - Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:46 am

i went to the doctor and got another ultrasound, and they told me that i have a nodule in my thyroid
i was wondering what will happen now? because my doctor hasnt got back to me yet on what treatment needs to be done
will i be referred to a specialist like an ENT
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Most of the thyroid nodules that are discovered accidentally are benign; however diagnostic evaluation is mandatory in suspicious cases.

The most common approaches for diagnostic evaluation of a solitary thyroid nodule include: complete history taking, clinical examination, measurement of the serum TSH level, thyroid hormones, and FNAC.

Nodules smaller than 1cm are usually benign while those of 4 cm or more are highly suspicious. Nodules in between are investigated accordingly considering other risk factors like patient history of neck irradiation, age and gender as well as their characters by ultrasonography.

Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) test can only distinguish euthyroid status from hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. Low TSH level indicate hyperthyroidism while high TSH makes hypothyroidism a possibility.
If TSH level is normal, FNAC should be done.

Thyroid ultrasonography can help determine if this nodule is solid or cystic and as a guidance for FNAB. Malignancy uspicious criteria by ultrasonography include central hypervascularity, microcalcification and irregular borders.

Treatment approache whether medical, surgical or both is decided according to the results of investigations including the cytopathology.

Hope this information is useful.

|