News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Breast Cancer

Question: Lump in underarms

renunair - Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 am

I am 31 years old female. I have been having this lump in my underarm for the past 10 years. It appeared under one arm and then gradually came in both at the age of 21. that was also the time when i was putting on a little weight. the lumps looks more like fat growth and hurts only when pressed hard. the hair growth is very less in that area. i had Caesarean at the age of 27.please advise whether i can get it removed surgically.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:02 pm

User avatar Hello,
According to your description, this is a benign looking swelling that could be a lymph node enlargement or just subcutaneous fat.

If we assumed they are lymph nodes, then the history you gave is reassuring since you have felt them for 10 years and there is no significant increase in their size, number or any other similar swellings in other areas of your body.
Lymph node enlargement usually occurs as a reactionary process following infection or inflammation in the area drained by this lymph node group.

If we assumed that this is just fat causing no problems I would not advise any surgical intervention unless they are causing a significant cosmetic problem which mandates consultation of a plastic surgeon.

Direct clinical examination is essential for proper management.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here